Sunday, April 28, 2013

Reading Fluency

I've been thinking about how valuable it is to be able to read well.  During the busiest times of this semester, I had to take in a lot of information from various print sources (books, online articles, textbooks, power-point slide, etc.).  When I was really tired or worn out, I would read words, sentences, paragraphs over and over, not comprehending a single word.  But I had to learn what was there in front of me!  There was a test, a meeting, a discussion; some kind of assessment that would force me to recall this information.  I had to read it, but not only read it:  comprehend it.  

In order to prepare students for success, educators must make sure students can read and comprehend well.  In college, students will be required to ingest incredible amounts of text; if students can't keep up with the reading, they may fail their courses.  In life, I've also had to read complex texts in order to get very basic, semi-low paying jobs.  I had a few jobs in retail and food service, and I've had to read binders-full of "company policy" and "employee expectation" information.  I was expected to know those business's procedures, policies, and legally, what I was responsible for and entitled to (e.g. health care).  These were pretty basic, entry-level jobs that someone right out of high school might seek. Being able to read well is important; yes indeed.

I'm grateful that I can be a focused, quick reader when I need to be.  I've always had a love for reading.  But from now on, I will be conscious of students who aren't so inclined to spend their nights and weekends reading novels (or anything but text messages...).  I will be prepared to teach my students literacy so they will be prepared for the future.

Take care, and have a great summer!
Mrs. Mullen
 

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Mullen - great blog you have started. I think when you have a classroom of your own, the blog will take shape for what you need it to be - some sort of communication tool. It is so important to be aware of the needs of our students and I am quite sure you will do that. Well done!

    ReplyDelete