Saturday, February 16, 2013

First Impressions

I am so excited to be writing a blog.  I love blogs.  Most of the blogs I follow are fashion or cooking blogs, but they've always kind of inspired me to create a blog of my own.

So, you might be wondering why I've called this blog "The Squeaky Beaker."  Well, beakers are one of the many tools we learn to use in the science classroom, and it's important to keep your equipment clean!  Your experiment is only as good as your tools are clean.  Moving on.

I had a thought today about my future science classroom.  I want to teach my students how to read cookbooks, and how to compare recipes.  Following instructions for making a recipe is like performing an experiment.  In my experience, it feels very similar to gather your ingredients, read through the "recipe," make a plan, and then follow that plan to achieve a specific outcome.  I also find food science to be fascinating.  I thought about comparing and substituting ingredients for a particular recipe.  For example, I thought about making two batches of chocolate chip cookies, one using butter, and one using margarine, and then examining (ahem...eating) the results.  Although I'm not sure if this will be allowed in my future school, if it is, I would like to try this, or something similar, to examine differences in molecular structure and how that can affect the food we eat.

Until we meet again.

Mrs. Mullen

6 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    Somehow I knew that your blog would be visually interesting and creative. I, too, enjoy fashion and cooking blogs! A few of my fashion favorites are www.possessionista.com and www.gofugyourself.com. The sartorialist is very cool too. Have you ever stumbled upon www.joythebaker.com? I love her pictures and her attitude, and a few of my go-to cupcake recipes are from her site. I love the idea of bringing cooking into the science classroom; especially baking, because there is more precision and chemistry involved.

    -Lara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lara; thanks for your comments! I love the Fug Girls; they're so funny. I usually read their stuff when they contribute on NYMag online. Have you ever followed Emily of Cupcakes and Cashmere? She does fashion, life-style, and lots of baking. She's really positive and upbeat, too, which is refreshing. Her blog is almost a daily read, as is Garance Dore (sartorialist's gf), and lately, The Man Repeller.

      Delete
  2. Stephanie,

    I personally am not much for fashion blogs, but cooking blogs - definitely! I love Smitten Kitchen, Joy the Baker, and often go to http://foodblogsearch.com/ for inspiration for ideas. (anyone know how to insert a link within these comments?)
    I think recipes are an awesome idea to tie in with chemistry. That would be relevant to most of the students, as opposed to some awkward experiment with chemical compounds they are unfamiliar with.
    Who knows, you might just inspire some students to try recipes at home as well!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Julie,
      One of my favorite chili recipes is from the Smitten Kitchen! Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  3. Stephanie,
    I enjoyed the creative side of your blog from the title, The Squeaky Beaker to describing your family as a wolf pack. I too am fond of cooking blogs.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thank you. The "wolf-pack" comment is kind of a movie reference, but I'm also sure that our dog thinks he's the leader of our "pack" haha. He likes to round us up if we're in separate rooms in the house.

      Delete